The Golden Globes took place last night at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, CA January 15, 2012. It was somewhat uneventful, except for the odd, crass joke shoehorned in to soften the scowls and botox-glares. Ricky Gervais was invited back as host. He was rather tepid and neutered, following a previous performance after which he was censored with a seven-second delay.
The red carpet was a mess of glitter, a dull colour palette, overwrought attempts at being classic, and under-size gowns.
This was a predictably well-attended red carpet, but with only a few notable moments the whole night. Gervais gave an opening monologue about how basic the awards were and how every winner bought their trophy. Madonna had been mocked by Elton John about her chances of winning over him for Best Original Song in a Motion Picture, only for her to win the category. Angelina Jolie looked salty all night. Seth Rogan made a boner joke with people’s kids in the room. And Sarah Michelle Gellar let her daughter, Charlotte, pick that smurf/ white Monique Lhuillier. Oh dear.
The red carpet with the night’s main attendees includes: Angelina Jolie, who moved away from black which was a good because everybody wore it, chose a white and red Atelier Versace gown; Brad Pitt, with the “old man” cane; Salma Hayek; Heidi Klum; Michelle Williams; Kate Winslet; George Clooney and Stacy Keibler; Sofia Vergara; Rooney Mara; Zooey Deschanel and Emily Deschanel; Kelly Osbourne; Kayte Walsh and Kelsey Grammer, who announced on the night she’s pregnant with twins; Evan Rachel Wood; Charlize Theron; Kate Beckinsale; Natalie Portman; Nicole Kidman; Mila Kunis; Lea Michele; Emma Stone; Jessica Biel, who wasn’t wearing an engagement ring; Madonna; Jessica Alba; Nicole Richie; Ricky Gervais, who operated on a seven-second delay on the live show; Sarah Michelle Gellar, who needs to pick her own dress next year.
- Best Motion Picture, Drama: The Descendants
- Best Motion Picture, Comedy: The Artist
- Best Actress, Motion Picture Drama: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
- Best Actor, Motion Picture Drama: George Clooney, The Descendants
- Best Actress, Motion Picture Comedy or Musical: Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn
- Best Actor, Motion Picture Comedy or Musical: Jean Dujardin The Artist
- Best Supporting Actress Motion Picture: Octavia Spencer, The Help
- Best Supporting Actor, Motion Picture: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
- Best Director, Motion Picture: Matin Scorsese, Hugo
- Best Screenplay, Motion Picture: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
- Best Animated Feature Film: Adventures of Tintin
- Foreign Language Film: A Separation
- Best Original Score, Motion Picture: The Artist
- Best Original Song, Motion Picture: Masterpiece by Madonna
- Best TV Series, Drama: Homeland
- Best TV Series, Comedy or Musical: Modern Family
- Best Mini-Series or TV Movie: Downton Abbey
- Best Actress, TV Series Drama: Claire Danes, Homeland
- Best Actor, TV Drama: Kelsey Grammer, Boss
- Best Actress, TV Comedy or Musical: Laura Dern, Enlightened
- Best Actor, TV Comedy or Musical: Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
- Best Actress, Mini-Series or TV Movie: Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce
- Best Actor, Miniseries or TV Movie: Stringer Bell, Luther
- Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries, TV Movie, or Series: Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
- Best Supporting Actor in a Mini-Series, TV Movie, or Series: Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones